Monday, February 6, 2012

A Setback

Well, it was bound to happen eventually...I had a setback with my system design today. 

  1. The paint on the underbed boxes flakes off if you so much as look at it wrong - despite using the bonding primer recommended by the guy at Lowes
  2. When filled with water the sides of the underbed boxes bow out and are unstable.  I already suspected this would happen, which is why I was working on the PVC frame idea.  Which brings me to...
  3. The PVC frames were a failure.  If I make them tight enough to hold the underbed box up, it causes the sides to bow in.  Once I begin to put water in it the weight causes the sides to collapse in and fall down out of the frame (and yes, I had a support under the bottom...but still no joy)
  4. Even if the PVC frames worked, the boxes are really to long for the table and once I add the extra 3/4" on each side for the PVC the four boxes together are just too big for the table
So, I trashed the whole underbed box idea and went with the bins that were recommended (and I should have used in the first place. *sigh*

Fortunately, I was able to return all of the paint and associated accessories that I hadn't used yet to Lowes and get pretty much everything else I needed for only $3 more than the credit.  Go me.  All I need now is water and fish.

More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment